Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Educational Books? People Read Those?

Happy 2014!

This post is about an educational book. It's not a fun, young adult/teen book that I usually like to read, however, this book was sent to me by my friends at Librarything, and so I read and reviewed it. The book is Exploring Critical Issues in Gifted Education: A Case Studies Approach by Christine Weber.

So here's the review:

I liked the case studies approach that this book had to offer, however, some of them were dry and hard to get through.  The book itself is very dense and offers a lot of information that might be helpful to someone who is willing to look past the dry-ness of the writing. The topic of Gifted Education is a topic that is neglected in today's society and I was really hoping that this book would help highlight some of the issues facing teachers when it comes to gifted education. This book might be have an application in a grad school program focusing on Gifted Education, but I don't think it's a book that can be read quickly without having others to discuss the case studies with.

Overall, I'm not a big fan of reading educational books for fun. This was like forcing myself to read a textbook even though I didn't have a class it applied to. If I did have a class it applied to, it may be easier to read and take from.


                                                             (copyright Christine Weber 2013)

Here's the book on Amazon.

Overall, I give it a 4 out of 5 stars because it is interesting and educational, just not my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment