Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Like many of the books I read, I got sucked into this book hard core. I could not put it down. I was also WEEPING at the end. Full on, ugly cry. So attractive, right?  After reading it, I went to talk to my mom about it, because my mom and I read the same books and then discuss them together. As I was talking to her, I almost started crying again because it was just so good and sad at the same time! What is wrong with me?!

Anyways, I would highly recommend this book. And as a plus... the movie is coming out on Friday (June 6th). I am very excited, and I am pretty sure that my mom and I are going to see it on Thursday! We are such nerds. I am ecstatic to see how the movie turns out, however, I never like the movies as much as the books. But hey, that's how life goes, right?

The Fault in Our Stars is about a girl named Hazel who has cancer. Her mother forces her to go to a cancer support group, where she has a friend named Augustus. Side note-- how cool of a name is Augustus?! Okay, so they meet and Augustus is pretending to be this bad boy and of course Hazel is interested (aren't we all!) and so they hang out, after "Gus" practically forces her to come out with him. The story takes us on the ride that is Gus and Hazel's epic romance. While the way that Hazel and Gus talk to each other is not the way that "normal" teenagers talk to each other or discuss things with each other, these teenagers are not "normal" teenagers. Although, at some points I did feel that John Green was trying to slide in a few of those "one-liners" that teenagers will be tattooing on their bodies in a moment of epic, passionate, romance, it was still a good book. And some of those one-liners really got me.  I found this meme online and think that it accurately describes this book:

So accurate, am I right?

Another thing about this book that I really enjoyed was the cast of characters chosen for the movie.  Although at first, I was not a big Shailene Woodley fan, she is really growing on me as she develops her acting skills and career more. I realize that I am no expert on anything really, but I really think she has developed so much to become good at her job! I also really like the fact that she seems down to earth and humble, much like Jennifer Lawrence (who I read she hates to be compared to..Sorry Shailene!)  One weird thing about the casting is that in Divergent, Shailene's character's brother (Ansel Elgort) is now Augustus for The Fault in Our Stars movie.  Minor details, but it's a little weird.. 

Back to the book.. SO GOOD! Go out and read it now! 
(Copyright John Green, 2014)

Buy it at Barnes & Noble or Amazon.

Quick Review: 
Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Pages: 313 (hardcover)
Recommended for: EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment